Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I'm about to go Felix Millan all over your ass...

My collecting pendulum has been swinging again. (I'll pause while you get a visual.)
 
As most of you are aware, I didn't go after any baseball sets this year. Heritage tempted me with all of it's pretty colours, but I held fast. 
 
Ginter sang it's siren song, but it fell on deaf ears this year.
 
All I wanted from this year's cards were my Braves. More on that in another post.
 
Football was the same. Granted, someone gave me a large chunk of the Topps base set, and I will try and complete it, but trade partners are hard to come by for that set. We'll worry about that another day... or maybe we won't.
 
Which brings us to my beloved hockey. With OPC, I was all in.... and I'm damn near finished the base set, the parallel set, and both insert sets.
I hear Upper Deck comes out very soon. But I may, for the first time in five years, pass. Maybe blame the fact that there are no games being played... but I think that's only a small part of it.
 
I updated my wantlists the other day.... I always have a printed out version on paper to take with me to shows, trade nights, what have you. Yeah, I'm old school. While everyone else at trade night has Galaxy SIII smart phones and tablets.... I still use paper. Again, maybe that will change.... but it's okay if it doesn't... I'm happy with my paper.
 
The point is, that after updating, my hockey section went from seven pages down to four and a half.
That felt good.
Instead of adding to it, I was crossing sets off. I liked that feeling.
 
So I think I'm done for awhile of buying new stuff.... other than what's on my lists of course.
 
So if there's no new stuff being bought... it must be old stuff, right?
 
Right.
 
I placed an order with an old online supplier that I used to use a lot, but haven't visited lately.
 
Sure enough, he had scads of cards I needed.
 
We'll start off slowly.... with our old buddy Felix.
 1968 and 1969 style. Can you imaging the uproar if Topps used the same photo in back to back years now? Oh wait. They do that. Never mind.
 However... it was just when I actually held the cards in my hand did I notice for the first time that there is a baseball in the photo. Apparently someone is tossing ole Felix a ball.
Felix doesn't care.... he's too busy staring into your soul.....

To finish things off, how about a glorious All Star card?
Like my good friend Paris used to say.... That's hot.

Like those 3 cards for under a buck hot. Seriously.

I think I'm going to like my new pendulum. Three more cards scratched off my list.

3 comments:

bamlinden said...

Paper is nice.

BTW....I liked Millan on the Dog Whisperer. He's so smart.

shoeboxlegends said...

Nice work, crossing items off your want list is more rewarding than busting wax 9 times out of 10...

Cliff said...

Pretty nice brows, no? Here are some more:

http://reallybadbaseballcards.blogspot.com/2013/08/brow-bros-70s-version.html