Thursday, January 14, 2010

You asked for it...

by voting in the poll over on the sidebar, In The Game's 1972 The Year In Hockey.
This box cost me $85. 18 packs per box, 9* cards per pack. (only the packs with a "hit" have 9 cards, the others have a decoy card that can be used as points towards a redemption)
The set consists of 200 cards, no SP's! Along with a few insert sets.
First up, the base cards. Now we all know that ITG does not have the ability to produce licensed NHL hockey cards. So you will not see logos etc... but as usual, they do an outstanding job.

and for my special group of followers that worship all that is facial hair, I give you your Holy Grail. Mr. Cowboy Bill Flett.
awesome.
The NHL stars take up the first 100 cards including a checklist. For the next 50 cards, we are treated with some of the stars of the brand new WHA. (World Hockey Association)

Mr. Gilles Gratton, who once told his coach that he couldn't play that night because the moon was descending in the wrong house as Mercury was rising.... true story.
but Gratton is best known for his time with the Rangers and giving us this beauty...

The rest of the base set is divided up amongst the biggest hockey story of that particular year. Maybe all time. Canada vs. USSR. (please go here after finishing here, it's an amazing site) It changed hockey forever. Of course Canada was at a disadvantage with the NHL not allowing them to choose players from the new WHA.
The greatest goalie to never play in the NHL.
Each game (there were eight) gets a mini write up on it's own card.
Now as for inserts, I found several.... the first being one that I must admit I do not like. I just cannot understand the fascination with these, even as an obsessive compulsive player collector, I do not go for these...
Blank backs. I found two, They both look like this;
incredible, aren't they?
Next up, one of the best insert sets of the year.
Masked Men. I only found two in my box, but some boxes didn't get any.....
For those of you who remember Bernie Parent and his stark, white mask while playing for the Flyers....
this is from his days with the Blazers in the WHA.

I didn't get any cards in the Coaches inserts, but I did get this one in a trade.
Now the hits you've all been waiting for... each box will deliver you three ON CARD autos. Yeah. ITG does it right.
and one game used card. Now the game used could be from one of different levels of scarcity. The one I found was of the most common variety.
Although they are not individually numbered, according to the ITG website, there were between 70-90 of these produced. Not bad for the most common, eh?

All in all a great box to bust. I spent more time reading the cards than I care to admit.
For the first time, I believe ever, ITG has delivered a product where a set cannot be completed out of one box. I'm torn on this. As a set collector, I need to complete this set. But at $85 a box (at least, I've seen it a lot higher) this isn't realistic. But there's always trading, right?
I'll give it a 9/10 (dropping down to 18 packs from the normal 24, and the blank backs... otherwise this is a 10)

9 comments:

TheRealDFG said...

That is "THE" box that is on my want list. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because of the price tag but I love the cards. Everyone who I have seen with a break has gotten some nice stuff. I haven't found it yet but I want to see one under $80. It's probably asking too much.

Nice Stuff!!

Hackenbush said...

Love it, Captain. 72 had the most awesomeness. Flett looks like he's in a witness protection program and Gratton looks like he could really take it on the "chin". I picked up a Doug Jarett auto card from this set recently for my Blackhawks signature collection.

Thanks for the great post!

Unknown said...

Wow, it makes me wish I knew more about hockey.

Nice looking stuff. Plus anything on card is immediately better.

TJ said...

I don't collect hockey, But I might have to look into this one. The price tag is a little scary, though.

shoeboxlegends said...

So I have to ask...who were your other two autos?

Captain Canuck said...

Larry Mavety of the Chicago Cougars and Gord Labossiere of Boston.

Ryan Cracknell said...

With the images you posted, I believe this set has to get the award for "Best Hair Fashions on a Trading Card." Nice stuff.

Ironically, this comment is brought to you by the verification "semeon," which is all to close to the ape-like styles on some of that hair.

LongFlyBall said...

Email me a want list. I busted a box and a half of this and am looking to complete the set as well.

Chuck's Used Cards said...

Cap - love the set - the original 1971-72 is my favorite hockey set of my youth ...

love the habs jersy swatch card.

wish I could afford it ...