Wednesday, September 2, 2009

where to go from here

some of you may have noticed a little less posting on my behalf lately. Okay, a lot less. Many reasons for that. Real life can tend to get in the way sometimes. Boredom. Burnout. Other distractions. Shiny things. And by the way, that game you see advertised everywhere in the banner ads? Evony? DO NOT click on those banners. That game is damn addictive. Alarmingly so.

Anyways.

It's september now. Time to get the yard ready for winter. The leaves are changing colours. The smell of Gint-A-Cuffs is in the air.
Actually, A&G is one of the reasons I haven't been posting as much. I was so looking forward to this year's version. Gint-A-Cuffs came along and I jumped at the chance to compete with other bloggers. Now, located where I am, I ended up getting my two boxes a lot later than most everyone else. The blogs were filled with the sights and sounds of Ginter madness.

A lot happened in the hobby between then and now. Not really for the better either. I guess baseball cards soiled on me a little. Too much business, too much bs counterfeits, too much greed from athletes, manufacturers, retailers. Just too much.

You couldn't escape Ginter if you tried. It was everywhere. When I received my boxes I eagerly tore open the first box. And had already seen every card in there. No surprises.
I then slowly opened my second box. I could not believe the amount of duplicates in that second box. I was pissed. But then after sorting the two boxes together, I realized that I did not have that many duplicates at all..... I had just already seen all of the cards already.
Now, I'm not blaming Gint-A-Cuffs at all. It was a great idea, and I almost won. 333 to Beardy's 347. Close, but no cigar. Not that I smoke anyways.
I dreaded sitting down at the computer because I knew I had to scan in all of the Ginter. It was like an albatross around my neck. So I just didn't scan anything. Now the contest is over. And I don't have to scan everything, and I'm glad I didn't win. Congrats to whomever is crowned Gint-A-Cuffs champion. Well done.

Now, about that box that scored 333. It had four hits in it, don't ya know? That's right. Four. But here's the kicker. The fourth hit may be why I didn't beat Beardy's score. Confused? You won't be after the next episode of...... sorry, mind wandered a bit.
Let's take a look at that pack, shall we?

First card outta the pack
CC Sabathia - Yankee -1 pt
Johnny Damon - Yankee -1 pt
Chien-Ming Wang - Yankee -1 pt AWW C'MON!!!!!

Carl Crawford - Rays no points
HIT!!!
CC Sabathia Jersey - Yankee - 8 pts/2 = 4 pts Motherfu*%$#!
Brian McCann mini!!!!!! Woot! 4pts
Carlos Zambrano National Pride. = Lame.
A pack with a hit and I only get 5 pts. Now the thing is, and here's where it gets tricky, is that I got the EXACT SAME PACK in my other, lower scoring box. (244 pts for the record)
EXCEPT, I got a Tim Lincecum jersey instead of fat ole Captain Cheeseburger. For those of you scoring at home, a Lincecum is worth 40 pts!!! Instead of the 4 pts, that would be an additional 36 pts to 333, for a total of 369!!! I woulda won! If only the packs had been reversed. *sigh*
I still can't believe I got the EXACT SAME PACK in two boxes though.
So anyways, enough rambling, it's not my style. My posts are usually picture heavy. And thanks for all of you who sent caring emails saying it was okay to stop posting, as long as there were pics of cheerleaders every few days.
Your kindness will not go unrewarded.
Look for a post later today (I hope) on where I will go from here.....

7 comments:

Drew said...

You almost won! Well, is the CC for trade?

beardy said...

It's not over till Monday, and I already announced that I will not be taking home the prize, so post your box. I think you'll be tied for first.

beardy said...

It sucks that Gint-A-Cuffs killed your love for Ginter itself. It was everywhere for a good few weeks there. I feel somewhat responsible, and I'm sorry.

Captain Canuck said...

first, you're not taking the prize? for shame, you had high score...
second, I odn't want the prize. Give it to someone who will appreciate it more...
and C, Gint-A-Cuffs is not to blame. Not at all...

Motherscratcher said...

Evony - Is that the one where the banner has the woman with the huge...uh...tracks of land?

Yeah, ginter was everywhere for a while, but look on the bright side...it could have been Spectrum-A-Cuffs.

Sucks about the hit. Even if it pains me to see Capt.C in the Yankees cap, he still should have been worth more than that.

Chuck's Used Cards said...

Glad your back blogging Cap'n

me too.

cheers

Sal said...

Evony. I came pretty close to downloading that game, but then thought better of it.

Here's an interesting story about their, ahem, interesting ads and how the first one was actually a rip-off from another site:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001286.html
(nothing bad...but maybe not safe for work...either way, interesting)

Sal