Sunday, June 7, 2009

1975 Topps Johnnie B. Baker

Dusty Baker, one of several future managers appearing for the Braves in this set.

Drafted by Atlanta in 1967, Dusty played until 1986, retiring as an Oakland A, with stops in Dodgertown and San Fran along the way.

242 Homers, 1013 RBI's, two Silver Sluggers ('80/81)and a Gold Glove('81)

Baker is best known as a manager though. the Giants, Cubs, and currently the Reds have fallen victim to his "talents"
Among his specialties are completely ruining pitchers, and a rather unique viewpoint of looking for leadoff hitters with low on base percentage.

Why is he still employed again?

2 comments:

zman40 said...

I had that card until I sent it to him to get signed this spring. I hope I get it back sometime.

Contrary Guy said...

Was frankly amazed when the Reds hired him.

I wonder if Mark Prior approved.